Student Permit, Visa & Immigration

Students from the following countries DO NOT require a visa to enter Trinidad and Tobago:

  • Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
  • All CARICOM Member States Except Haiti
  • The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
  • All British Commonwealth Countries except Australia, Cameroon, The Republic of Fiji, India, Mozambique, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and Uganda.

For a comprehensive list of countries and their visa requirements click here

An application for an Entry Visa must be submitted to a Trinidad and Tobago Mission abroad or where there is no Trinidad and Tobago Office, to a UK Embassy or Consulate in a non-Commonwealth country.

An application for an Entry Visa may be submitted via the following email address

In cases where there is no Trinidad and Tobago Office available abroad, an application for an Entry Visa must be completed on the prescribed form. Visa application form

Please visit the official Website of the Immigration Division of Trinidad and Tobago for further information on Entry Visas.

International Students requiring Entry Visas are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible, as in some cases, the process can weeks or months, sometimes running into the start of the semester.

Student Permit

Non-Citizens and non-Residents of Trinidad and Tobago wishing to engage in studies or training at registered schools/ institutions in Trinidad and Tobago require Student Permits

A Student Permit when issued shall be valid for not more than one (1) year and may be renewed subject to re-application

It is required that all full-time non-national students apply for a Student Permit for each academic year of study.

Persons who are eligible to apply for Student Permits

  • Persons 18 years and over, coming for tertiary education (with the exception of the University of the West Indies, for which a Student Pemit is not required), technical training, religious studies or English as a Second Language (ESL) or GCE/CXC o’ Level/A’ Level classes (CARICOM Citizens only) at private institutions
  • ESL students must be nationals of the Americas only
  • Dependents of persons who are holders of Work Permits, Missionary Permits, or awaiting Permanent Residence status in Trinidad and Tobago
  • Dependents of persons who are holders of Caricom Skills Certificate issued in Trinidad and Tobago and who hold indefinite stay status
  • Dependents of persons permitted entry under Rights of Establishment.

Documents Required To Apply For A Student Permit

  • Student Permit Application
  • Copy of the bio-data page of applicant’s passport
  • Letter of Acceptance from the School indicating the following :
    1. That the school has been registered with the relevant Ministry
    2. That the student has been accepted as a full-time student at the school
    3. Information regarding accommodation provided for the student during his/her stay tenure as a student of the school
    4. That no local student has been displaced
    5. Days and times of classes
  • Receipt of Payment of tuition fees
  • Letter of responsibility and/or financial support from host – if staying with a relative or friend
  • Copy of Bio Data page of passport of host
  • Receipt of payment of accommodation – Board and Lodge
  • Previous Student Permit (if applicable)
  • Valid Return Ticket or Security Bond/Landing Deposit
  • Interview/Information Sheet
  • Assessment Form – For returning Students
  • Approval from Ministry of Education obtainable from school or Director of School Supervision, Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain – for persons attending Government institutions
  • Medical examination forms P&I 40 and P&I40A – for student remaining in Trinidad and Tobago for more than one (1) year. This may be deferred until one (1) year is complete
  • Evidence of funds/financial support
  • Other documents that may be required by the Immigration Officer

Application Fees:

  • Caricom Nationals – $100.00 TT
    Non-Caricom Nationals – $200.00 TT
    Endorsement of Student Permit Fee:
  • Caricom Nationals – $ 50.00 TT
    Non-Caricom Nationals – $100.00 TT

Student Permit Application Form & Guidelines